The Ontario Public Interest Research Group – Carleton (OPIRG-Carleton) is seeking applications for a Volunteer Outreach and Programming Coordinator. This is a contract position for 24 - 30 hours per week. The desired start date is Monday, August 20.
Applications are due Thursday, August 9 by 4 PM.
Compensation: $22.65 hourly, adjusted for cost of living and health benefits
Hours: 24 - 30 hours/week, with occasional weekends and evenings
Anticipated Start Date: Monday, August 20, 2018
Length: One year contract, with potential for renewal.
Location: OPIRG Carleton, 326 University Centre, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive. We regret that the OPIRG office is not wheelchair accessible.
This is a unionized position with CUPE 1281.
OPIRG-Carleton is a student funded and directed organization with a mandate to support research, education and action on environmental and social justice issues. OPIRG-Carleton endeavors to foster a non-hierarchical working environment by following consensus decision-making processes. OPIRG-Carleton strives to be an anti-oppressive working environment
The Volunteer, Outreach and Programming Coordinator will work collaboratively with the Administrative Coordinator and the Financial and Organizational and Development Coordinator (FODC) to ensure that the communications and programming functions and objectives of the organization are met. The Board of Directors may articulate specific objectives and responsibilities that fall under the categories in work plans. Additional responsibilities may also be added in the work plans within the confines of the Collective Agreement governing the relationship between the employer and bargaining unit members.
Volunteer and Working Group Coordination:
- Coordination, evaluation, supervision and appreciation of OPIRG Carleton volunteers:
- Coordination of working groups and assistance in projects of working groups;
- Evaluation of current policies and practices as they relate to working groups and volunteers as well as improving existing or creating new policies and practices as needed.
Outreach and Communication:
- Produce outreach materials with a focus in promoting OPIRG’s mandate, programming, and volunteer activities;
- Basic website maintenance as well as use of social media and e-letters as directed;
- Respond to the needs of volunteers, members and other visitors to the office;
- Participate in community initiatives and activities that fall under OPIRG’s mandate;
- Coordinate annual programming with direction from board;
- Assist with logistics related to events such as room booking, arranging equipment, publicizing events, event evaluation and other coordination logistics.
- Attend board meetings, staff meetings, relevant working group and committee meetings;
- Submit timely documentation of work completed via staff reports;
- Participate with other staff and volunteers in the maintenance of regular office hours, cleaning, maintenance, and improvements;
- Participate in programming to meet organizational anti-oppression/anti-racism goals as required and/or appropriate.
OPIRG welcomes the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our organization, and invites aboriginal people, people of colour, poor and working class people and those on social assistance, women, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, queer-oriented people; transgender, transsexual, intersex and two-spirit people; single parents, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants, people from non-academic backgrounds and people with disabilities to apply. We encourage applicants to describe the contributions and experiences they would bring to the OPIRG organization in their cover letter.
To submit an application, please send your resume, cover letter and a short statement on your views of power and oppression as one file in one email to email@example.com or bring a copy to the OPIRG office at 326 University Centre by the application date. If sending via email, please indicate CLEARLY in the email and in your cover letter which position you are applying for.
We thank everyone for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.