The Ontario Public Interest Research Group – Carleton (OPIRG-Carleton) is seeking applications for an Administrative Coordinator. This is a contract position for 24 - 30 hours per week. The desired start date is Monday, August 20.
Applications are due Thursday, August 9 by 4 PM.
Compensation: $22.65 hourly, adjusted for cost of living and health benefits
Hours: 24 - 30 hours/week, with occasional weekends and evenings
Anticipated Start Date: Monday, August 20, 2018
Length: One year contract, with potential for renewal.
Location: OPIRG Carleton, 326 University Centre, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive. We regret that the OPIRG office is not wheelchair accessible.
This is a unionized position with CUPE 1281.
OPIRG-Carleton is a student funded and directed organization with a mandate to support research, education and action on environmental and social justice issues. OPIRG-Carleton endeavours to foster a non-hierarchical working environment by following consensus decision-making processes. OPIRG-Carleton strives to be an anti-oppressive working environment
The Administrative Coordinator will work collaboratively with the Volunteer, Outreach and Programming Coordinator (VOPC) and the Financial and Organizational and Development Coordinator (FODC) to ensure that the administrative and programming functions and objectives of the organization are met. The Board of Directors may articulate specific objectives and responsibilities that fall under the categories in work plans. Additional responsibilities may also be added in the work plans within the confines of the Collective Agreement governing the relationship between the employer and bargaining unit members.
- Coordinate refund period;
- Work with OPIRG staff & Board of Directors to coordinate administrative finance duties;
- Maintenance and upkeep of the office space and equipment;
- Respond to the needs of volunteers, members and visitors to the office;
Organizational & Board Support:
- Coordinate strategic planning, Board of Directors orientation and training, AGM preparations, annual bursaries and policy development;
- Coordinate and set up regular and committee meetings of the board;
- Supervise grant and work-study staff;
- Prepare and publish the Annual Report;
Programming, Outreach and Communications:
- Assist board and staff in annual programming, trainings, and other areas identified by the board;
- Network and collaborate with campus and community groups on common issues;
- Sit on the Provincial OPIRG board of directors and work with other PIRGs to coordinate tasks relevant to OPIRG Carleton’s training portfolio.
- Attend in-person and online provincial meetings as well as provincial AGM and trainings
- Support other PIRGs in the network by sitting on hiring committees, offering support to OPIRG Carleton PIRG buddy OPIRG Kingston and assisting in other relevant tasks
- Attend board meetings, staff meetings, relevant working group and committee meetings;
- Submit timely documentation of work completed via staff reports;
- Participate with other staff and volunteers in the maintenance of regular office hours, cleaning, maintenance, and improvements;
- Participate in programming to meet organizational anti-oppression/anti-racism goals as required and/or appropriate.
OPIRG welcomes the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our
organization, and invites aboriginal people, people of colour, poor and working class people and those on social assistance, women, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, queer-oriented people; transgender, transsexual, intersex and two-spirit people; single parents, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants, people from non-academic backgrounds and people with disabilities to apply. We encourage applicants to describe the contributions and experiences they would bring to the OPIRG organization in their cover letter.
To submit an application, please send your resume, cover letter and a short statement on your views of power and oppression as one file in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring a copy to the OPIRG office at 326 University Centre by the application date. If sending via email, please indicate CLEARLY in the email and in your cover letter which position you are applying for.
We thank everyone for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.